Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Fathers Day

President Lyndon Johnson in 1966 signed a presidential proclamation declaring the 3rd Sunday of June as the official day for Fathers. 50 other countries celebrate Fathers Day. There are the usual gifts. A tie or a handmade card. All those are fine, but, in my quest to make gardening a part of all holidays, I came up with another idea.


I found several different and colorful pots and planted many of the herbs that Dad might need to grill anything from steak to fish, vegetables to fruit. The idea is to have these herbs readily available to the cook as he grills.
I planted dill; purple and green basil; purple and red cherry tomatoes; and tabasco, jalapeƱo, and red hot peppers. I also planted oregano and rosemary in pots that sit on the ground around the grill.


I found this really cool cutting board that holds a blade for chopping herbs right there at the grill. One less tool that has to be taken to and from the kitchen. It can stay out with the grill all season long. It’s a tool from Joseph Joseph. I found it at Marshalls in their housewares department for about $10. Joseph Joseph can be found online and they make totally unique kitchen tools. You have to go to the web site and take a look. http://www.josephjoseph.com/kitchen-tools.



Another cool gift I found is the PizzaQue® by Pizza Craft Pizza Stone Grill for the outside grill. This can be found at http://www.wayfair.com. Designed to be used on the barbecue grill at home. It has a built-in thermometer that allows you check the stone easily for optimal cooking temperatures. It can also be used in a kitchen oven, with or without the stainless steel base.


I love this quote by Mario Cuomo about his Dad and so I will leave you with this. "I watched a small man with thick calluses on both hands work fifteen and sixteen hours a day. I saw him once literally bleed from the bottoms of his feet, a man who came here uneducated, alone, unable to speak the language, who taught me all I needed to know about faith and hard work by the simple eloquence of his example."


Happy Fathers Day.

2 comments: