Saturday, August 17, 2013

Happenings around Setters Run - Basil seed collection, Nasturtium, Orchid Cactus, Roses

I just thought I'd update you on the goings on here at Setters Run. It's gotten really cold here. The low this morning was 61 degrees. You don't get days like this during August in the South.

photo credit: CK Worley


First, I wanted to show this to you. It's called Dollar Weed and it came up in the pot that I planted cilantro in. Go figure! It's considered a weed but is a member of the parsley family. It can be eaten raw in a salad so I went out and tried some. It tastes like parsley at first but gets bitter fast. Thanks to Bobby the Flower Fanatic who named this for me. He said it was either Dollar Weed or Nasturtium and both are eatable so don't worry I won't get toenail poisoning from tasting it. I had been searching under Silver Dollar plant on the Internet and it wasn't the same plant. It's amazing how one word can make a difference. I suppose I'll just leave it until it dies out on it's own. It's a pretty plant.
By the way, if you ever need a plant identified all you need to do is go to Walter Reeves website and click "Name that Plant". They have all kinds of gardening experts who will help you identify your plant if they can.

photo credit: CK Worley

Our climbing Don Juan roses are taking shape. They seem to love where we planted them. Eventually the one on the left and the one on the right will cross paths and intertwine framing the entire window to my office.

photo credit: CK Worley


My Orchid Cactus is about to bloom. There are several blooms on this plant. We inherited it from my husbands father. We've had it several years and never knew it bloomed.


photo credit: CK Worley
photo credit: CK Worley


Now is the time to collect seed off your basil plants. These long stalks carry seed in them. Just pull them off and store them in a cool dry place. You can plant them again next spring. Saving money is key to Growing It First.

P.S. Today is September 13th and I had to show you the Orchid Cactus in bloom. It only blooms at night so we went out at 10 last night to take this photo. Here is a day time followed by a night time photo. So Excited!

photo credit: CK Worley
photo credit: CK Worley

And here is one more close up of the bloom.

photo credit: CK Worley

No comments:

Post a Comment