Thursday, June 6, 2013

How to pot plants- Birthday idea

I potted an herb garden for my friend's birthday. Once I chose the pot I wanted to use, the first thing I did was put an opened coffee filter into the bottom. This prevents soil from leaking out of the bottom of the pot but allows the water (much like the water in a coffee maker) to get through.



Next ~ I saved the packing peanuts from various boxes I received in the mail and filled the bottom of the pot with them. This creates excellent drainage and reuses something that most people throw away.



Now for some good quality soil and some Soil Moist which reduces the need to water by up to 50%. This is great for people who work out of town or like to go on short trips. This way she won’t have to worry about coming home to dried out plants.



I always, always use Espoma products whenever possible. I added some organic Garden Tone which will continually feed the plants. Did I mention that I love Espoma products?



So here we have it, a green pepper plant, Oregano, Dill, Chives and Basil. I’m saving the little plastic pots to use for indoor sowing later on.

Next I wrapped a ribbon around it, put it on a dolly and trucked it over to Tanya’s house. Happy Birthday Tanya!

No comments:

Post a Comment