Tuesday, September 11, 2012

To Front Load or Not- That is the question.



Now I know this has nothing to do with gardening other than washing your work clothes and gloves but when I find out new things I just have to tell you about it.
I got my front load washer and dryer because they were pretty, the latest thing and I thought that it might be easier to take clothes in and out of. I bought my special “he” (high efficiency) detergent and I was on my way.


I have a maintenance contract on my front loaders and when the service guy arrived he let me in on some of the monthly maintenance chores involved.
Before we get to that, you must know that you should keep the front door open when it’s not in use and not only that but you should keep the detergent door open as well. It’s really best to take the whole drawer out. This helps keep everything dry and free of moldy smells.  See the thumb print at the top of the drawer? Press that and it will release the drawer.


So now I have the door open and the drawer out.  Not so pretty!
Next are the monthly chores. You have to go to the bottom compartment where the drainage hose and catch is located.  First unstop the hose and drain the water out into a pan or bucket.  This will take a few minutes.  Next, unscrew the catch and remove anything that has gotten caught. I had a trash bag twist tie and a couple of pieces of pine straw in mine.



Now you buy some “washer cleaner.”  If you use the powder kind you’ll have to put it directly into the barrel of the machine otherwise it will just gunk up in the detergent drawer and you’ll have to run it a second time. I got this liquid cleaner from the Sears scratch and dent store for around $10.
I have a tub cleaner setting on my washer so I set it to that and filled my detergent tray up to maximum with the cleaner. If you don’t have a tub clean setting just use a quick wash cycle. I let it run on tub clean for about a minute then paused the washer and opened the door.


Next I took a clean cloth and using the soapy water in the barrel I wiped the rubber seal around the door and on the inside of the window.  I also took my finger and cleaned around the crevasses in the gasket. Do this very carefully because you could break the seal and then you’ll have to have the thing replaced. I started the machine up again and let it run its course. The best way to keep the tub smelling fresh every week is to put a couple of drops of lemon essential oil into it and let it run a short wash. You can buy high quality essential oil by emailing me at https://www.doterra.com/US/en/site/growit


I was also told that around the third year of owning my dryer it would be wise to have a technician come out take the top and front off the dryer and vacuum off the coils. This would eliminate the build up of lint and prevent a possible fire.
So am I happy with the front load washer? Well, I can see that during the wash cycle the clothes inside are brought up to the top and kind of folded over.  Because of this I keep my loads small. You just can beat that swishy agitation of a top load washer and front loaders don't have that. For the maintenance and having to leave everything open - I wouldn’t buy another front load washer.


I’d love your opinion. How do you get along with your front load washer?



To find out how you can get Purify Essential Oil to add to your washing machine email me at https://www.doterra.com/US/en/site/growit
Just add 3 drops of Purify to the load before you wash.

10 comments:

  1. I agree with you. And... I haven't noticed my clothes being any cleaner then with a top load machine. There is a lot more upkeep and keeping the door open, even a few inches is a pain in the space I have. I will think twice before buying another top load washer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting info! We have had our front loaders for about ten years. Yes, the detergent tray gets gunky. We have had to have repairs only a couple of times. Once an article of clothing got caught in the seal and ended up twisting around the seal and stalling the machine. Another time a PENNY was caught in the drain. That penny caused a $200+ repair. Make sure to check your pockets! My rule is I keep any money I find in the laundry... And while it has a large capacity, overfilling any machine is not a good idea. I'm guilty of it. Last, I will have to investigate the tub cleaner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you posted this C! Mine does a great job BUT the mildew is a huge issue! I've left my door open for quite a while now, and I thought I was the only one doing that. Very annoying. There is supposed to be some great product out there that cleans the mildew out during a cycle - if I find it I'll let you know. Don't use the one by Tide - awful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tide is a powder and you have to throw it in the tub or it won't dissolve properly and it doesn't go through the whole washer. Washer Magic can be found at Sears. I know you can get it on-line as well.

      Delete
  4. I would never have another front loader. I do the wash and then have to wash the washer! I use 1/2 cup vinegar, 1/2 cup bleach and one dishwasher pod with the machine set on heavy duty and hot water. This cleans the machine but doesn't last very long. Lots cheaper than buying soap to clean your washer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the tip Karin. I'll try it. I love hearing great suggestions from people. I learn so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I first read about this in the paper and since I haven't liked my front-loader since the very beginning, I couldn't wait to read it. My sweet husband, who has always been in the dry cleaning business, bought it without my input. (My son and family have the front load washer and dryer and love it.) I thought the front load washers were suppose to be easier on the clothes; however I put my bras, hooks fastened, into lingerie bags, then in the washer. When I get them out, I always have a few unfastened bras. I also don't like washing so many clothes at one time, but the washer gets unbalanced for a few seconds with lighter loads. This is on top of all the extra work you need to do to clean it, which I admit I don't do the way I should. I'll be glad when I need another washer, but alas, it's only about a year old. Love you blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for your comments Aunt Marti. They make something called a bra washing cube which looks like a mesh makeup bag but it's made for bras. Keeps them from getting hooked on to other clothing. A plan old fashioned lingerie bag will do as well. Good luck with it! :D I'm happy that you love my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Got a question from Pinterest - it goes "Any ideas on what to do when the detergent draw if full of water after a load?" My answer - Some water left inside the drawer isn't unusual. If it's full of water the drawer may need to be cleaned. You should be able to find cleaning information for your particular brand online-

    ReplyDelete