Friday, April 27, 2012

Mother's Day- Flower Pot Tower.

How about this Mothers Day gift? I have lots of unused clay pots, so I went to the hardware store to get a PVC pipe small enough to pass through the holes in the pots. When I got there I realized that the PVC was too bendy and wouldn’t hold the pots. So I decided to buy a piece of rebar. I bought the longest piece that they had which was 4 feet.
I chose a spot for my project and placed the rebar 1 foot deep into the soil. Now I loaded my largest pot with a red Geranium and purple Petunia making sure to use good potting soil, Espoma Plant Tone, and Soil Moist. Then I lowered the pot carefully onto the rebar through the drainage hole on the bottom of the pot and leaning the pot to one side. I rearranged the plants slightly to account for the rebar joining the group.


Next I took a smaller pot and put a red Petunia in the pot and planted it like before, only I tilted the pot in the opposite direction. I took the same size pot and filled it with a purple African Daisy tilting this one in the opposite direction of the last. Lastly I topped it all off with the smallest pot filled with white Impatiens and tilting the pot toward the opposite from the last.
It makes for an unusual and decorative potting alternative for Mothers Day or any day.


Here's another great idea for Mothers Day. How about a Mortar and Pestle set? Complete with basil plant, pine nuts and a recipe card for Pesto.


Here is a basic Pesto recipe.

3 garlic cloves
1/2 tsp. salt
3 cups packed fresh basil leaves
1/4 cup parsley
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
squeeze of lemon

Smash the garlic and salt using the pestle and mortar set. Chop the basil and parsley and add to the bowl. Start smashing again until smooth. Add the oil a little at a time grinding the oil into your basil paste until well incorporated. Then comes the cheese and lastly the nuts and lemon.

You can use walnuts instead of pine nuts but make sure they are coarsely chopped before you add them. You don’t have to add lemon if you don’t want to.

Use the pesto within two days or freeze it for later use. You can put it on crusty bread, chicken, pasta, potatoes, corn or as a dressing for a tomato and avocado salad. Some people like it on steak or fish.

So Happy Mothers Day to all who work so hard to make your children good honest citizens. The memories of you and all those little things that made their lives happier and healthier will always be remembered. God Bless Moms!

No comments:

Post a Comment