Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Pizza Butter

So I’m here trying to figure out how to make flavored butter. I thought I’d make some tomato butter since I have so many tomatoes.


I start out by putting some butter (yes, the real stuff) out to soften. Now I’m thinking I’ll stew some cherry tomatoes, pull the skin off and cool it down before adding some basil. That sounds good. So here I go.
I put the cherry tomatoes into a sauce pan and start cooking them without water. As they pop open I removed the skin with tongs. Soon all I have is the juicy insides. I cook that until most of the juice is steamed out. Then I get a brilliant idea. I added some cheese to the tomatoes (Parmigiano-Reggiano) and blend them together. I’m now making pizza butter.


Next I finally chopped about 6 leaves of fresh basil, some fresh oregano and minced garlic to mix with the butter.
Getting excited? I am.


I spread my “Pizza Butter” on thick slices of bread and fry it. Next I added some tomatoes and basil from my garden. Lastly I decided to add some mozzarella. This tasted so good. I got just a hint of all the flavors and the fresh stuff on top made it oh so yummy.


Then I had a thought. What if I added some “Pizza Butter” to pasta. Yep, just as tasty.
I had to think of a creative way to store my new invention. I decided to make a sandwich bag into a pastry bag by filling it with butter and cutting one corner off. I dolloped the butter onto parchment paper and put the tray in the freezer. Once frozen I can store them in a container and only take out the amount I want to use.


I used salted butter so I didn't have to add any extra salt. This was really fun. Maybe next time I'll make some cinnamon honey butter. Then I'll have to make some pancakes.




No comments:

Post a Comment