Monday, July 28, 2014

Raw Corn Salad plus DIY Ideas

I remember my Mom standing in our garden picking corn and eating it right off the stalk. She said it tasted sweeter that way. So when I make a raw corn salad I always think of Mom.

photo credit: CK Worley
photo credit: CK Worley

Take 3 or 4 ears of corn and slice the kernels off. Mix that with a can each of black and red kidney beans. A bunch of cilantro, onions, grape tomatoes (cut in half) and garlic. Then instead of chopping some pickled jalapeƱos (which is what I usually use) I chopped some green beans that I had put into a jar of Greek pepper juice. My Dad always put green tomatoes into left over pickle juice so I thought why not green beans? It worked!

photo credit: CK Worley
photo credit: CK Worley

I never really measure anything while making this salad. Just what ever looks good.
Then I add the juice of one lime, olive oil, salt and pepper.
This is really good and it’s very pretty.

photo credit: CK Worley

I had a Do It Yourself with essential oils class this weekend. It was really fun. We made foaming hand soap, an Anti Aging Salve, a Soothing Salve, Lip Balm and we made Orange Power Bites. Really easy and all healthy!

photo credit: CK Worley


And now for some DIY projects I can share with you.


Earlier that day I had made some of my own handy wipes with essential oils. They are safer than the store bought kind.



The warnings on the back of those store bought clean up wipes are frightening.
“For surfaces that come in contact with food: Use only on hard, non porous surfaces and rinse thoroughly with water.” How many of you rinse your counter after using these?
“Precautionary Statement: Hazards to humans and domestic animals. Wash hands after use.” REALLY? YIKE!
Make your own safe wipes.

My friend Helen taught me how to do this one. Cut a paper towel roll in half. Put one half in an old coffee container (or a similar sized container) and use the other half later. I first soaked the container with water and baking soda to get the coffee smell out.



Then I took the cardboard roll out of the middle of the paper towels. After that I added Protective Blend, Cleansing Blend and Lemon essential oils to a pitcher of water. Once that was mixed I poured it into the coffee container. Just use enough to soak the towels.

That’s it. The wipes come out one at a time, just like the store bought kind. Use the lid to keep them moist.




NOTE: I will use those heavy duty paper towels you can get from the hardware store next time. They are a little bit thicker but these regular paper towels will do for now and they make the kitchen smell amazing.

Lemon is a great disinfectant. Protective Blend has wonderful antibacterial properties. Cleansing Blend cleans and deodorizes. Together they made a safe and efficient kitchen and bathroom cleaner.

Contact me at settersrun360@gmail.com and I’ll show you how you can get the BEST essential oils that represent the safest, purest, and most beneficial essential oils available today for 25% off retail price!

No comments:

Post a Comment