Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Odds and Ends - Black skillets and Infused water


When we were fixing asparagus my son asked me how do you know where to cut the ends off? So I showed him this simple method. Hold both ends of the stalk and snap! The asparagus will separate between the tender part and the tough part. If it separates too close to the top then you’ve got an old batch of produce.


Things to remember so your skillet doesn’t end up rusty. Never clean a black skillet with soap. Instead boil water in the pan. After it’s cool, wipe it out with a paper towel. If there is still residue left behind, pour a small amount of salt into the skillet and gently scrub it off. Then drop a small amount of oil in the center of the inside of the skillet and polish with a paper towel.


Making infused water is so easy and it will help your family drink more water. I decided to make cucumber, lime and mint water. First I made ice cubes with a small amount of mint and pieces of cucumber in it. (you really don’t have to do this unless you have time). Then I simply sliced the ingredients into a pitcher and filled it with ice cubes and spring water. Next I’ll try orange and rosemary! You can also try strawberry and basil or peach and sage. No other ingredient is needed. After about two hours you can sit back and enjoy the fresh delicious taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment