Thursday, June 21, 2012

4th of July!


Here are a few interesting facts about the 4th of July:
On the 50th anniversary of the signing of the Declaration of Independence, John Adams and Thomas Jefferson died. You got it, on the same day July 4th, 1826.

On December 16, 1773 there was a Tea Party in Boston but that wasn’t the only large cup of tea made during the first years before the revolution. New York hosted their own Tea Party on April 22, 1774.

So now it’s time to celebrate the signing of the Declaration of Independence (Actually signed on August 2nd.)



My daughter and I made Carla Hall’s Boston Cream Pie recipe from "The Chew" website. It wasn’t an easy recipe but OH how delicious. I forgot to whip the cream before mixing it into the cake batter which made the layers a bit thin but didn’t change the taste. This treat is for the adults only because kids won’t appreciate it and this dessert needs to be appreciated!



Then I found some really cool reusable plates at a discount store. These are heavy duty, extra large and only cost $2 a piece. Since I’m planning to use them every year this will save money in the long run. I went to the dollar store and picked up a red table cloth and cut a hole in the center to allow for the umbrella. It was a dollar so it didn’t matter how many holes I cut into it. I also picked up some cupcake baking cups and the package came with mini flags. 48 cups and flags for - you guessed it - One Dollar! I baked some brownies in the cups and added the frosting and flags. This will be a wonderful treat for the kids. I also made some white chocolate covered pretzels and added red, white and blue sprinkles! These are my favorite! The napkins were from the dollar store as well. If you've never been in one I would suggest you try. It's amazing what can be bought at The Dollar Store.





I used the reflections silver colored plastic wear which can be washed and used again. That way you won't get that sick feeling when you’ve realized that some of it ended up in the trash. I’ve had that happen with real silver before. So the fake silver is okay with me especially when you are having a cookout.
Lastly I wanted to put the American flag out for the 4th of July holiday but I don’t have a flag pole so I went to the dollar store again. This time I picked up some small American Flags and placed them along my walkway. It’s festive looking.



And now ~ if you’ve never seen this letter written by John Adams to his wife Abigail on the 2nd of July 1776 here it is. (He was only off by two days!)

Following is the exact text from his letter with his original spellings:

The Second Day of July 1776, will be the most memorable Epocha, in the History of America. I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated, by succeeding Generations, as the great anniversary Festival. It ought to be commemorated, as the Day of Deliverance by solemn Acts of Devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with Pomp and Parade, with Shews, Games, Sports, Guns, Bells, Bonfires and Illuminations from one End of this Continent to the other from this Time forward forever more. You will think me transported with Enthusiasm but I am not. I am well aware of the Toil and Blood and Treasure, that it will cost Us to maintain this Declaration, and support and defend these States. Yet through all the Gloom I can see the Rays of ravishing Light and Glory. I can see that the End is more than worth all the Means. And that Posterity will tryumph in that Days Transaction, even altho We should rue it, which I trust in God We shall not. (The Book of Abigail and John: Selected Letters of the Adams Family, 1762-1784, Harvard University Press, 1975, 142).

Happy 4th Everybody - It's worth fighting for!

1 comment: