Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Painted Candle Stick Holder - Inexpensive Christmas Gifts #2

For our next project I am going to show you how to make candle holders that you can use on your holiday table or give as a gift. Again, the Dollar Store was my first stop. I picked up two vases and two candles. I’m going to put the candles inside the vases to create a candle holder. I like the idea of using a candle that is enclosed so you don’t have to worry about digging out the melted wax later.
There are all kinds of simple designs that you can choose from on the internet. Just search for “stained glass patterns.” Choose something simple without a lot of straight lines.
This project will be slightly different from our last one (dish painting) because you’re going to paint on the outside of the glass so you have to be extra careful to paint in the lines.
Once you’ve chosen your design, carefully tape it onto the inside of the vase.



You may want to stuff it with newspaper as well. The closer you can get the paper to the glass the easier it will be to trace the design.



I didn’t trace the halo because it’s really hard to do circles on a curved surface. I’ll make a simple peace dove design on the other side to complement Mary and Jesus. Here’s where you can find the designs that I chose. Again, I'm using Apple Barrel Colors but you can use any enamel acrylic and my DecoColor pen for tracing.

Mary and Jesus:
http://www.momsnetwork.com/kids/coloring/holidays/christmas/jesusmary2.gif

Peace Dove:
http://media.photobucket.com/user/tiffanyroeder1991/media/dove.gif.html?filters[term]=Peace%20Dove&filters[primary]=images&filters[secondary]=videos&sort=1&o=6



Remember, if you don’t like it you can always wash it off. You may need to scrape a little as well but it will come off. I find a Brillo or SOS pad does a great job. After you add the color you'll have to go over the original black outline just to touch it up.

Once you’ve finished painting you bake your project. Find my blog called "Inexpensive Gifts #1" for instructions.

Here is my finished project. Painted - baked, washed and ready to give.




John 14:27
“Peace I leave with you, my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives.
Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.”

No comments:

Post a Comment