Monday, September 2, 2013

Teachers Gift - Inexpensive Christmas Gifts #3

This is especially good to make for teacher gifts, for kids in college or anybody really.



I went to Walmart and found half pint canning jars. They came in a 12 count box and cost $6.97 (58 cents each). I also bought some honey at $4.08 (16 ounces), 84 cents for 2 lemons and $2.00 worth of ginger (about a finger sized piece) and a box of pectin (about $2.50 a box). You’ll get two 1/2 pint jars out of these few ingredients. Each gift should cost about $5.29.

Always wash citrus before you eat or cook with it - Wash the ginger as well. While I was in the store I saw a guy put a piece of ginger right up to his nose to sniff it and then he put it back. YUCK!

I’ll sterilize the jars using the instructions from my August 21,2012 blog called “Making Peach Jam.” You may want to review that blog post before beginning this one.

It wasn’t hard finding this recipe online. It’s everywhere! I did have trouble finding the exact amounts. I followed one recipe but the syrup never jelled. So I got new seals and sterilized the jars again. (You can only use the seals once) and this time I added more pectin (which totaled one box). I had to cook the ginger and lemon in with the honey because it was already mixed from my fist attempt. I think this is best so it worked out alright. The flavors kind of cooked in together.



Instructions:

In a small saucepan heat the honey, sliced lemon and sliced ginger.
Add pectin (6 Tablespoons or one box) and cook on high, allowing it to boil for about 3 minutes.
Pull the lemons and ginger out of the honey and add two drops each of  Lemon and Ginger Essential Oils. You can get more information on how to purchase these oils by emailing me at settersrun360@gmail.com.
Add a few new lemon slices to the sterilized jars and pour the honey mixture over the lemon.
Once the jars are sealed put them back into the pot of water and boil for 10 more minutes.
Take them out and when you hear the top pop then you know the jar is sealed.
Cool and put in refrigerator.
Since I cooked the lemon and ginger in the honey I didn't add any extra ginger to the jar. I think it will be easier to use without having to fish around the ginger pieces.



The Jar: First I tried to put labels on the jars but they were cold so that didn’t work. I just made tags on card stock on my computer with the directions on the inside. I drew a bee and flower on the front with an ink pen. I used a simple piece of raw hide to finish the gift. You can use any kind of ribbon. I keep ribbon from packages I receive so I always have some around.
Here are the directions:

“When you feel a scratchy throat coming on take a spoon full of this jell and add it to a mug. Fill the mug with hot water and stir until dissolved. Now you have a nice, hot and tasty drink that will sooth that sore throat.”
KEEP REFRIGERATED

In my research I found this bit of important information. You may need to include this at the bottom of your directions.

Warning: Ginger has some blood-thinning properties so if you are on an aspirin regiment consult your physician before using this mixture.

I hope that you and your children enjoy making this gift. More to come!
Write me for more information at settersrun360@gmail.com

















No comments:

Post a Comment