Monday, September 23, 2013

Redneck Wine Glasses - Inexpensive Gift #6

I’ve been catching up on the Duck Dynasty on A&E. My sister Donna got me hooked on the show. They have all kinds of Duck Dynasty gifts you can buy for Christmas on their site.
One item I saw was their Duck Dynasty “Redneck” wine glasses. They are selling Kerr canning jars on top of wine glass bases. They include the sealing jar tops so you can save your wine for later. Pretty funny! Here is a video clip from the show.

http://shop.history.com/duck-dynasty-redneck-small-wine-glass-set-set-of-4/detail.php?p=447292&v=aetv_show_duck-dynasty#tabs

They sell 4 glasses for $51.89 plus $7.95 shipping charges.

So off I go to the Dollar Store to find the supplies to make my own red neck wine glasses. If I wasn't able to find what I wanted at the Dollar Store I would have gone to Old Time Pottery or some other place that sells discounted glass items.

photo credit: CK Worley

I found 4 small candle stick bases and 4 canning jars with tops. This will be more than $5 but less than $51.89! So far I’ve spend 8 dollars. Granted these jars are larger than the small Kerr jars that the folks at Duck Dynasty use so the lids may come in handy!

photo credit: CK Worley

I had to go to Walmart to find glass glue. This glue is specifically made to glue glass together. I felt that would be the safest way to go. Loctite glass glue sets in 15 to 60 seconds so you have to be pretty accurate. Let it stand for 1 hour before you move them and cure for 1 week before you can wash them. The glue costs about $2.50. It depends on where you shop and what state you live in.

photo credit: CK Worley

Wash and dry the jars and candle stick holders. I put them in the dishwasher. You can leave them plan if you’d like. If you use a Kerr or Ball jar they have their names embedded in the glass and you can’t do anything else with them. You can leave these generic jars plain if you'd like but they are smooth and that means I can paint them!

I’m going to use the same technique I used with all my other painted projects in this series so please go back and review the directions before you begin. http://www.growitfirst.blogspot.com/2013/08/grow-it-first-with-ck-worley.html

photo credit: CK Worley

I decided on a very simple Duck Dynasty design. The Duck Commander logo minus the letters and the circle. This was really easy to do with my Deco pen. I taped the logo inside the jar and traced the duck with my pen. No brushes required.



I baked and cooled the jars and then glued the tops to the bottoms. I did this upside down so I could use a level to ensure that the glasses sit on the bases evenly. That was the trickiest part. First I put some glue on the base and place it on the bottom of the glass. After I use the level and waited a minute or two I added more glue to the edge of the jar and the candle stick bottom to ensure they will stick and not come off.

photo credit: CK Worley

There you have it. Redneck wine glasses. Of course you can use them for iced tea as well. Total cost around $2.50 a piece.

1 comment: