Monday, April 6, 2015

Spring on a Sunny Marietta Day

Photo Credit: CK Worley
My friend Katie and I were walking home from a writers conference on Saturday when she spotted this dogwood.  It looked like it had two different color flowers on it. Some branches with white blossoms and the others pink! We couldn't believe our eyes because neither of us had ever seen a dogwood like that before.
On closer inspection Katie pointed out that there were two dogwoods planted and growing right next to each other. See the two trunks in the picture. Next time I plant a dogwood I think I'll get two different color dogwoods and do this same exact thing! Beautiful!




When we stopped at Katie's house she told me about the mold and mildew growing on some of the plants in her yard.  This is how I suggested she handle the problem caused by aphid growth.



Here is my blog post on bug control and mold. You may need to copy and paste.

http://growitfirst.blogspot.com/search/label/peppermint%20oil%20for%20bug%20control

 Also, grow plants that aphids love - to lure them away from the plants you are trying to save. Some aphid favorites include nasturtiums, asters, mums, cosmos, hollyhocks, larkspur, tuberous begonias, verbena, dahlias, and zinnias. These can provide great organic control.

Happy Spring Everyone!



No comments:

Post a Comment