Tuesday, July 26, 2011

My front yard

People often tell me that they don’t know what to plant, so I will share with you what I just planted in my front yard. This may inspire or encourage you to plant some of these on your own. Will Goodman helped me out with most of these selections. It’s always good to work with a friend.


photo credit: CK Worley



First is Encore Azaleas in Autumn Monarch (orange/pink blooms with red freckles). Encore Azaleas bloom in spring, summer and fall. The average height is five feet and the average width is four feet--plants this size will fill up a space pretty quickly. We use Holly Tone fertilizer on all of our azaleas.

photo credit: CK Worley



Next is Rose Creek Abelia which is another flowering shrub. It will grow about three feet tall by three feet wide and have little white flowers with small pink leaves at the bases. This makes for a really funky and cool look. The pink leaves stay long after the flowers have gone. It's a nectar source for butterflies as well!


photo credit: CK Worley



David Viburnum has glossy dark green leaves and white spring flowers followed by crazy turquoise blue berries. Another three foot by three foot shrub, it grows great alongside the Azaleas. Remember that plants of both sexes are required for berry production just like the Aucuba. And just like our Aucuba, we use Holly Tone.

photo credit: CK Worley



Bugleweed Chocolate Chip has little blue flowers that attract hummingbirds. This plant will spread wide and will only grow three to six inches high. Bugleweed is really pretty when planted with Hosta.

photo credit: CK Worley



Around all of this, I planted Yellow Day Lilies, White Irises and Pink Beauty Caladiums. Caladiums are related to elephant ears, something I didn’t realize until my friend Jenny pointed it out. They will have to be dug up before the first frost or they will die (all the other plants are perennials).

Okay, so I hope this helps you. I think it’s cool to find new plants and mix it up. Make sure you are buying for your zone and sun requirements. Relax and have fun!

Make sure to follow me on

Facebook @ Grow it First with CK Worley
Twitter @ GrowitFirst
You Tube @ Grow it First with CK Worley
And Oprah’s OWN Channel @ Growit

No comments:

Post a Comment