Monday, October 10, 2011

Time to plant a winter garden!

There are all kinds of yummy veggies that like the chilly weather but I could only choose a few. Now that it’s time to plant a winter garden I’ve pulled up what remained of the summer garden and am ready to begin. First, I have to get the soil prepared for another growing season. I turned over all the soil and added compost and manure to the mix. This will give new life to my raised beds.

photo credit: CK Worley

I also added some cactus soil to the area where my garlic will grow. One of my very first YouTube videos was about planting garlic and how it likes well drained soil. Mixing cactus soil into the garden will help with this preference.

photo credit: CK Worley

To that I’ll add some Soil Moist to my combined soil to ensure the plants won’t get thirsty. It’s essential to provide this extra insurance in a raised bed because they dry out much faster than a ground garden would.

photo credit: CK Worley

Now for my seeds. I planted Early Italian Garlic, Red Delicious Hybrid Onion, Heirloom Beets, Royal Chantenay Carrots, Cherry Belle Radish, Buttercrunch Lettuce and Endive. I only used half of the seeds and bulbs because I have two small gardens so I’ll put the rest in the fridge and plant again in March for an early 2012 harvest.

photo credit: CK Worley

It's hard to believe that each one of these seeds will grow into an onion! You can plant a winter garden in the ground, raised bed or pot! It isn’t difficult and you will reap rewards in about 60 to 75 days. Remember nothing tastes as good until you Grow it First!

No comments:

Post a Comment